kings and queens of COURT B

Monday, April 4, 2011

Heli what?

I haven't kept it a secret that I think the name heliconia is rediculous so MAtt asked me to post my arugument on here as to why I want it changed...read on...


Purple! Daisy! Sapphire! Lime! Heliconia? What exactly is heliconia? This question has plagued many social athletes who have been assigned the shirt color since its debut about a year ago. I have a proposition for you NYCSSC. Change the name of the heliconia shirts! Heliconia. The word alone is just confusing. I asked a few friends from the league, “What do you think of the name heliconia?” A few answers I received are:


-“What does it mean?”


-“What is heliconia?”


- “Calling it heliconia speaks to a lack of confidence.”


-“It's a play on the Outkast album Stankonia”


- “You don’t have a bootleg copy of Photoshop do you? I need to Photoshop my face onto Jake Gyllenhaal.” (This one was obviously my favorite)


As you can see, the general consensus is that heliconia needs to be ousted.



The name heliconia is not only confusing, it’s misleading. Wikipedia identifies heliconia as a flower that is a deep red color. We all know Wikipedia is a completely dependable and accurate information super site but I decided to take my research a little farther. I typed ‘heliconia’ into Google and pictures of dark red flowers came up (see exhibit A). Some were even orange or yellow. Not one flower shown was even close to the shade of pink that the NYCSSC heliconia shirts are.



I understand the league does not want to name the pink shirts anything too bizarre or over the top that it will scare members lucky enough to be assigned the color away. I have a few suggestions for names that can take the place of heliconia that are less confusing and aren’t too outlandish. There are the obvious choices like magenta or fuchsia. There are fun options too like strawberry, flamingo, sexy pink, or rosey pink!


I feel that the name heliconia does not do the shirt justice. There have been some pretty noteworthy athletes, trivia buffs, and presidents (exhibit C) that have donned this stunning color. Let’s give it the identification is so truly deserves.



Exhibit A: A picture of a heliconia flower http://fireflyforest.net/images/firefly/2006/June/Heliconia-rostrata.jpg



Exhibit B: A you tube video showing heliconia flowers in action…deep red heliconia flowers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72fvstbrciM



Exhibit C: Obama in heliconia.


http://www.nycsocialsportsclub.com/index.php/message-from-obama.html

No comments:

Post a Comment